Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Who doesn't love hot rolls?

It's been another busy week indeed!  What we thought was a small water issue in our basement has turned into a huge mess, including lots of icky black mold.  Nice!  My mom has been in and out of the hospital recently after bouts of high blood pressure and heart palpitations.  Very scary!  And, a recent trip to our family doctor has brought a reality slap right in my face.  One way or another I'm going to have to lose A LOT of weight.  That means my recipe box needs to be filled with not only quick, go-to recipes, but also healthier options as well.  This is a good thing...really.  At least that's what I keep telling myself.  Then I remember this recipe I ran across for oh-my-Lord-so-delicious dinner rolls.  I mentioned these last week in my post about Rigatoni, Ricotta and Sausage, and I haven't been able to get them off my mind since.

I love to bake bread.  The whole process is satisfying to me, on so many levels.  But, I don't feel as passionate about the actual kneading process.  So, I especially love that I have a Kitchenaid Mixer and bread machine to make the job much easier.  And I was thrilled to run across this recipe on www.food.com for Hamburger Buns made in a bread machine.  Yes, they may be called Hamburger Buns, but it would be a true crime to reserve these just for burgers.  I can easily eat these completely unadorned.  Warm from the oven, or three days old.  They are, to me, sublime.  Perhaps that's why my butt needs it's own zip code.  I digress.

Bread Machine Hamburger Buns

1 1/4 cups milk, warmed at least to room temperature
1 beaten egg
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups bread flour
1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (I use the "bread machine" yeast, but you can use any you have on hand)

Place all ingredients into the pan of the bread machine, in the order listed (wet, dry, and the yeast on the top).  Select "dough" setting on your bread machine and let her rip.

When the cycle is complete, turn the dough out onto a floured surface.  Cut the dough in half, and cut each half into 6 pieces.  You can get fancy and roll each piece into a nice, cute ball, but you don't really need to.

Place the dough balls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, or a greased baking sheet if you haven't any parchment.  (If you don't have parchment, go add it to your grocery list.  I could go on for hours about the value of it.  It's cheap and you'll never burn another cookie again if you buy it.)

Brush each melted butter, or with olive oil. Cover with a dish towel and let rise until doubled, which is about an hour.

Bake at 350° for 9 - 12 minutes, or until they are browned nicely.

Now, you can definitely enjoy a burger on one of these delicious little morsels.  However, I've also served them as dinner rolls, and I've seen my kids sneaking them from the pantry as a snack.  If you really want to be decadent, slice one in half, butter it, and sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon and sugar.  Toast it under a broiler and enjoy!!! 

As for me, I'm going to make these for my family to enjoy, while I sit and gnaw on a carrot stick.  I'm sure the pure enjoyment of making them will be enough for me.  really.  no, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment