Search This Blog

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Been busy!

Okay, so it's been a while since I posted.  Obviously my journey into broadening my culinary horizons (and recipe box) ends when I take a business trip.  Well, I'm back at it and I'm really happy with the results.

My inspiration for tonight's dinner came from my favorite foodie, Lynne Rosetto Kasper, host of The Splendid Table.  If you ever have an opportunity to listen to her show on NPR, by all means do so.  LOVE it!  I also receive her weekly email, which contains a recipe that is super easy to pull together, and typically does not contain ingredients that require a visit to a specialty grocer.  That brings me to today's recipe:  Rigatoni with Ricotta and Sausage. 

This recipe is so easy to pull together, it's simply unbelievable.  And as I discovered tonight, it can be finagled easily, based on whatever is in your pantry/fridge/freezer.  That means you can use penne instead of rigatoni, and you can throw in frozen vegetables, or you can leave them out.  Here goes:

Rigatoni with Ricotta, Sausage (and Vegetables)

1 pound pasta (penee, rigatoni, mostaccioli, etc..)
1 pound Italian Sausage
2 cloves garlic, chopped
16 oz. ricotta
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 bag frozen vegetables (I used California mix)

Bring a large pot of salted water to a fierce boil.  Please salt it, unless you want dinner to be tasteless.  While the water is coming to a boil, brown sausage in a large pan on medium high heat.  The pan should be large enough to hold the sausage, pasta and the vegetables.  And, in a separate serving bowl, add the ricotta and Parmesan.  Add a little salt and pepper to taste along with the cheeses, and stir to combine.

When the sausage is browned, add the frozen vegetables.  Cover and lower the heat to medium low.  You want to thaw the vegetables, but not turn them to mush.

Just before the pasta is cooked, remove about 2 cups of the pasta water (I use a glass measuring cup).  Pour about a 1/2 cup of the pasta water into the bowl with the cheeses, and mix.  Drain the pasta and add it to the pan with the sausage and vegetables.  Toss just enough to mix, then pour the mixture into the bowl with the cheese.  Pour in the remaining pasta water and stir thoroughly.  Serve with Parmesan cheese.  And bread.  And wine (Prosecco is nice).  And enjoy!

This recipe is definitely a keeper, and now holds a permanent place on my "go to" list.

Not to show off, but I served mine with homemade dinner rolls. Okay, the dough was made in my bread machine, but they were still delish!  But that's another post.  The journey continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment